Thursday, August 20, 2009
Summer's Best Zucchini Breads
Honey Zucchini Bread
Single Loaf Version
3/4 cup honey
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups zucchini, grated
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
Beat egg slightly in large bowl. Add honey, oil and vanilla; mix well.
Combine flour, baking powder, orange peel, baking soda, ginger and salt in medium bowl. Add flour mixture, zucchini and sunflower seeds to honey mixture; mix until well blended. Spoon batter into well greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
Bake at 325°F about 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan; remove from pan and cool completely
Sour Cream Zucchini Bread
I like this bread best fresh from the oven, but it is great chilled from the refrigerator, or heated with butter melting into it. Those on diets need look no further; skip this recipe; it won't help your diet one bit, but it certainly is good!!!
3 cups flour - sifted
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups shredded zucchini (we use a blender)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans, don't forget to roast first)
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sour cream (one reason that this recipe is rich)
Prepare two bread loaf pans by greasing and flouring them well. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, oil, and sugar. Add the dry ingredients slowly to the eggs, etc. After these are thoroughly mixed, add the sour cream and vanilla. Finally, mix in the shredded zucchini, nuts, and raisins. Pour the mixture into the two loaf pans. Bake at 350 F for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Use a toothpick in the center to determine if the loaves are done.
By smittenkitchen who Adapted from several sources
Yield: 2 loaves or approximately 24 muffins
1 cup olive or vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1 cup dried cranberries, raisins or chocolate chips or a combination thereof (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease and flour two 8×4 inch loaf pans, liberally. (See those pictures of the cakes inside their non-stick pans? Yup, they’re pretty much hanging out in there for the time being.) Alternately, line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Mix in oil and sugar, then zucchini and vanilla.
Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt, as well as nuts, chocolate chips and/or dried fruit, if using.
Stir this into the egg mixture. Divide the batter into prepared pans.
Bake loaves for 60 minutes, plus or minus ten, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Muffins will bake far more quickly, approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
Zucchini Quick Bread
inspired by :alliezk
This Recipe will make two good sized loaves.
Preheat oven to 350.
2 Cups Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
3 Cups (coarsely grated) Zucchini *
3 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon All-spice
1 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
Optional - 1 Cup Chopped Nuts
* Do not peel! The color of the bread will vary depending on the color of the zucchini. The darker the zucchini, the darker the color of the bread.
1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until frothy.
2. Add the sugar, vegetable oil and vanilla. Beat the mixture until think and lemon colored.
3. Stir in the fresh zucchini.
4. Sift together and add the flour, spices, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Generally, I tend to ignore the spice measurements and just dump them straight in. I love a strong spice flavor. When I make this bread, the dry ingredient mixture tends to be a light brown and very fragrant.
5. Add the sifted dry ingredients in two portions. Fold in the chopped nuts if desired.
6. Pour mixture into 2 oiled and floured loaf pans and bake for about one hour or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
7. Invert the pans onto a cooling rack and allow the loaves to gradually fall as they cool completely.